How to Request an Opinion

If you would like to request an opinion from the Attorney General, but you are not a public official, we suggest you contact your local South Carolina legislator to discuss requesting one on your behalf.

Finding an Opinion

In many cases, our Office may already have issued an opinion which answers your question. We provide the general public with access to virtually all of the prior opinions of this Office issued over recent decades in our Opinions Archive

Older Attorney General opinions from 1878-1994 are kept at the S.C. Department of Archives and History. Please contact the Department of Archives and History for copies or to review opinions: 803-896-6196.

Contact Us

If you are unable to locate a relevant prior opinion and would like to request assistance, you may contact the Opinions Section at 803-734-3736.